ABOUT KUNSTFORENINGEN GL STRAND
Kunstforeningen GL STRAND is a modern art institution situated in the centre of Copenhagen. Every year GL STRAND forms the setting for 6-8 exhibitions, a varied film programme in the art cinema Kunstbiografen, a meeting-room installation in the Montana Room and a vital programme of events linked with the changing exhibitions.
The exhibitions are addressed to a wide public and always reflect our own time, either by focusing on an art-historical themes in a present-day perspective or by presenting the very latest tendencies on the Danish and international art scene.
In connection with the series of exhibitions GL STRAND regularly presents a perspectivizing programme of events involving debates, literature readings, concerts, a visual-arts workshop, guided tours etc. For information on future events see more under Events or GL STRAND’s newsletter.
GL STRAND’S HISTORY
The history of the institution goes back to 1825, when a group of citizens and among others the painter and art professor C.W. Eckersberg founded Kunstforeningen (The Art Society) on the German model. The aim was to spread general knowledge of art and to forge a link between the elite Royal Danish Academy of Fine Arts and the wider public.
Until the mid-twentieth century Kunstforeningen had its address in several places in the centre of Copenhagen. Since 1952 Kunstforeningen has been housed in the street Gammel Strand in one of Copenhagen’s most beautiful historic buildings designed by the architect Philip de Lange in the 1750s. In 2004 GL STRAND was added to the name of the exhibition hall.
MODERNIZATION OF KUNSTFORENINGEN GL STRAND
In 2010 GL STRAND underwent a radical modernization and renewal. The foundation A.P. Møller og Hustru Chastine McKinney Møllers Fond til almene Formaal laid the foundations with a donation of just over half the total budget of DKK 48 million, while other foundations, Augustinus Fonden, Oticon Fonden, and Knud Højgaards Fond together donated a whole DKK 22 million. In addition, Montana donated the remainder, so that the project was fully funded.
Vilhelm Lauritzen Architects has been responsible for the renovation and they have brought out the original characteristics of the protected historic building as well as upgraded it to become an a exhibition venue of international standard.